This curry chicken is ready to be served within 25 minutes. Easy, quick and vegetarian!
This is one of the few recipes in my collection that already used a meat replacement. So I didn’t have to change too much about the recipe, except for adding more vegetables to make this a healthier meal. I’ve also used frozen vegetables for convenience and because they are just as tasty.
The original recipe comes from a Knorr advert in a magazine of the Dutch supermarket Albert Heijn, so unfortunately I am unable to link to the original recipe. But don’t worry, search for curry chicken on Google and you’ll find plenty of inspiration. Many cuisines have their own version of this dish (and may call it chicken curry!) so feel free to make this recipe your own.
One tip for the recipe below is to freeze the remaining coconut milk if you are unable to find a small can. I am almost never able to find a can of 200ml coconut milk so I usually buy a can of 400ml and freeze the leftovers. Convenient for when I make this dish again a week later! I can’t be the only person who, once you like a dish, eat it every week, then ignore it for months, and then start eating it again for weeks?
Quick curry chicken
5 minutes preparation + 20 minutes cooking — serves 2 to 3
- 2 small onions
- 200ml coconut milk
- 400grams frozen green beans
- 160grams brown rice (based on two people)
- 1.5 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pack What The Cluck chicken pieces from the Vegetarian Butcher
Preparing the rice
- Wash the rice.
- Boil water for the rice in a kettle (around 500ml).
- Cook the rice for c. 19 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Preparing the curry chicken
Prepare the curry chicken while the rice is boiling.
- Chop the onions.
- Heat oil in a pan, and once the pan is hot, add the onion. Fry the onion for c. 5-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, curry powder and flour. Fry for 2-3 minutes with the onion. Turn regularly.
- Add the coconut milk and 200ml water. Bring to the boil while stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Check the length of the green beans and break the long pieces in half.
- Add the green beans to the thickened curry sauce and stir. Cover with a lid and simmer for 5-8 minutes on low heat.
Bringing it all together
- Taste the curry sauce and add seasoning if needed (extra curry powder, salt or pepper).
- Serve the rice with the curry chicken.
Enjoy your meal!
Did you like this?
Leave a comment below if you made this recipe, and let me know what you think. Tips and feedback to improve the recipe are always welcome too!