Teriyaki sauce and roasted vegetables are a match made in heaven.
I love teriyaki sauce. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and sticky, but not too sweet and not too sticky. Combine that with your favourite vegetables, roasted from the oven, and you have a perfect dish. It’s also super simple: cut the vegetables, mix with some oil and teriyaki sauce, and off it goes, into the oven. It couldn’t be simpler.
This dish is originally from a special edition of BBC Goodfood’s magazine, the Summer 2022 edition. I have adapted the original recipe to make it suitable for 2-3 people and I am not using the extra garnishes. I also use ground ginger instead of fresh ginger, as I often have it on hand, and cook the rice while the vegetables are in the oven (instead of using precooked rice).
Teriyaki roasted vegetables
10 minutes preparation + 35 minutes cooking (in the oven) — serves 2 to 3
- 300 grams long-stem broccoli (or you can use regular broccoli florets, which works well too!)
- 1 small pak choi
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated)
- 160 grams brown basmati rice
- Heat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Wash the broccoli.
- Peel the red onion and cut into wedges.
- Wash the red pepper and cut into thin strips.
- Wash the carrots and cut into wedges.
- Wash the pak choi and cut into quarters.
- Drain the can of chickpeas and rinse the chickpeas under cold water.
- Place all vegetables in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce and the olive oil. Mix everything well.
Roasting the vegetables and preparing the rice
- Place all vegetables in a large oven dish. If necessary, use two oven dishes so that the vegetables do not lie too much on top of each other and can roast well.
- Place the oven dish in the middle of the oven and roast for 35 minutes. After 20 minutes, stir and toss the vegetables once.
- Boil one and a half liters of water in a kettle.
- Wash the rice.
- Cook the rice in a pot with the pre-boiled water for 19 minutes (longer/shorter depending on pack instructions).
Bringing it all together
- Drain the rice and divide between plates.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and divide between the plates.
- Sprinkle the remaining two tablespoons of teriyaki sauce over the roasted vegetables for additional flavour.
Enjoy your meal!
Did you like this?
Leave a comment below if you made this recipe, and let me know what you think. Tips and feedback to improve the recipe are always welcome too!