An easy oven dish that is perfect for using up leftover vegetables.
The great thing about this dish is that you can use almost any kind of vegetables and still put a delicious meal on the table. If you have an oven-proof pan with a lid, it’s even easier: shortly fry everything, pour in the stock and put it in the oven. No oven-proof pan? No worries. Pour everything into a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Works just as well.
This dish is adapted from a dish from the Dutch Boodschappen magazine. Strangely enough, this is one of the few recipes where I add less vegetables than the original recipe describes, but that’s mainly because I adapted the recipe to make it suitable for 3 people.
Rice and veggies from the oven
15 minutes preparation + 45 minutes cooking (in the oven) — serves 2 to 3
- 2 small onions
- 2 carrots
- 200 grams of rice
- 350 grams broccoli
- 1 courgette
- 1 pepper
- 150 grams frozen peas
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 pack of Unbelievaballs from the Vegetarian Butcher
- 0.5 vegetable stock cube
- 160 ml cream
- 110 grams of grated cheese
- 0.5 tablespoon pepper
- Cut the onions in half rings.
- Wash the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Wash the broccoli and cut into small florets.
- Grate the courgette.
- Wash the pepper and cut into thin cubes.
- Peel the garlic and finely chop (or press).
- Boil 160ml of water in a kettle.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the boiled water to make a stock.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Heat an ovenproof large pan with some oil. Once the pan is hot, add the onion and carrot and stir fry for c. 5 minutes on high heat.
- Lower the heat. Add the rice and cook for a further minute.
- Mix all other vegetables, garlic, and Unbelievaballs into the rice. Mix and season with pepper.
- Add the cream, cheese, and vegetable stock. Mix and remove the pan from the heat.
- Cover the pan with a lid and bake c. 45 minutes in the oven. If you don’t have an oven-proof pan, place the entire vegetable mix in a large oven dish and cover with aluminum.
Bringing it all together
- Take the dish out of the oven and serve immediately.
Enjoy your meal!
Did you like this?
Leave a comment below if you made this recipe, and let me know what you think. Tips and feedback to improve the recipe are always welcome too!