A quick weekday meal that is sure to surprise you.
I love making this dish because it’s easy, delicious and quick. Perfect for busy weekdays yet equally satisfying during the weekend. This is a delicious dish which uses tofu in a new way by coating it in a mixture of sweet chili sauce before rolling it in coconut. Fry it up and you get a juicy piece of tofu with a crispy sweet coating. If you don’t like tofu yet, you will after this dish.
Originally this recipe uses wok-ready noodles but I prefer to make this dish with whatever noodles I still have at home. They cook in 3-5 minutes anyway so I will just let them cook while preparing everything else. You don’t loose any time with this approach! I also doubled the coating of the recipe to make the tofu extra crisp and sweet.
Sweet coconut stirfry with noodles
10 minutes preparation + 10 minutes cooking — serves 2
- 1 block of firm tofu (around 280 grams)
- 3 tablespoons reduced salt dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons (white wine or apple) vinegar
- 15 grams ginger
- 30 grams desiccated coconut
- 30 grams bread crumbs
- 500 grams stirfry vegetables
- 100-150 grams noodles
- Stirfry oil
- Peel the ginger and chop finely.
- Wrap the tofu in a few layers of kitchen paper and press firmly to push out most moist.
- Cut the tofu into cubes of 2cm.
- Mix the soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, vinegar and ginger.
- Mix the coconut with the breadcrumps.
- Place half of the tofu pieces into the sweet chili sauce mixture, coating all sides, and then carefully spoon them out and into the coconut mixture. Repeat with the remaining tofu. Keep the remaining sweet chili coating aside for later.
- Mix the tofu well with the coconut mixture, making sure that all sides are coated.
- Boil a liter of water in a kettle.
- Place the noodles into a pot and cover with the boiled water. Cover and let it cook for 3-5 minutes depending on pack instructions.
- Drain the noodles and cool down with cold water. Keep aside.
- Heat a large pan with some stirfry oil. Once hot, add the coconut coated tofu pieces.
- Fry the coconut tofu for c. 8-10 minutes on a high heat, carefully turning every 2-3 minutes to ensure all sides crisp up.
- Meanwhile, heat another pan and add some stirfry oil.
- Stirfry the vegetables in the second pan for c. 5-6 minutes.
- Add the remaining sweet chili sauce and cooked noodles to the stirfry vegetables. Lower the heat and carefully mix so the noodles losen up and get coated with the remaining sauce.
Bringing it all together
- Divide the noodles and vegetables over two places and serve with the coconut tofu on top.
Enjoy your meal!
Did you like this?
Leave a comment below if you made this recipe, and let me know what you think. Tips and feedback to improve the recipe are always welcome too!