A perfect dish to share with friends and family. Put it all on the table and let everyone serve themselves.
I love this dish for several reasons. First of all, it just looks great because of the different colours of vegetables. And then there’s delicious mango — nothing beats a juicy, ripe mango. It brings me right back to our trip to India and Indonesia.
And then there’s the tofu. Before this dish, I really was not a fan of tofu at all. But this is the dish that changed my mind. We fry the tofu and then add some sweet chili sauce. Delicious!
It is difficult to serve this dish and get everything on one plate. I’d suggest putting the mango and vegetables on a large serving plate and let everyone serve themselves. This is also an easy recipe to double up if you have more guests. The recipe is originally from the Dutch Boodschappen magazine and I adapted it a bit to make it easier to prepare.
Colourful mango quinoa bowl
20 minutes preparation + 15 minutes cooking — serves 2 to 3
- 15 grams fresh mint
- 1 mango
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sachet taco seasoning
- 150 grams quinoa
- 1 can of black beans
- 250 – 300 grams tofu
- 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200 grams mangetout
- 1 pepper
- 1 avocado
Tip: First put the quinoa to boil and then start with preparing the dressing and cutting the vegetables.
- Heat a liter of water in a kettle.
- Wash the quinoa well with cold water and cook in c. 15 minutes in a pot with the pre-boiled water.
- Drain the black beans. Once the quinoa is ready, add the black beans to the pot to heat up the beans.
- Drain the quinoa and beans and set aside.
- Cut the mango in half, as close to the pit as possible.
- Cut half of the mango into cubes in the skin and scoop out the cubes.
- Put the mango cubes, olive oil, mint, lemon juice and the taco seasoning in a measuring cup and blend with a hand blender to a dressing. Keep separate.
- Wash the pepper and slice into thin strips.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit, and slice into thin strips.
- Cut the other half of the mango into pieces in the skin and scoop out the pieces. Cut off as much flesh from the mango as possible.
- Cut the tofu into small 1cm cubes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and once it is hot, add the tofu.
- Fry the tofu for c. 8-10 minutes over medium heat until crispy on all sides. Turn regularly.
- Remove the tofu from the heat and mix with the chili sauce.
- Boil half a liter of water in a kettle.
- Blanch the mangetout with the pre-boiled water.
- Mix the quinoa and beans with half of the mango dressing.
- Serve the quinoa and tofu with the remaining mango pieces, pepper, avocado, mangetout, and remaining dressing.
Enjoy your meal!
Did you like this?
Leave a comment below if you made this recipe, and let me know what you think. Tips and feedback to improve the recipe are always welcome too!