This is one of the newest additions to my collection. Ever since the asparagus season started this year, I make these delicious quick noodles with green asparagus every other week.
The dish is originally from the cookbook “Vleesch” by the Vegetarian Butcher (note: the cookbook has not yet been translated in English so I’ve linked you to their other recipes). It’s one of my favourites not only because we use fresh asparagus, but also because of the addition of my favourite What The Cluck “chicken” pieces.
I adjusted the dish slightly because I like to bake the “chicken” pieces a little crispier, but you can also stick to the original recipe and add them when you stir-fry the vegetables. I’ve also adapted the cooking steps of the original recipes slightly, and added some extra garlic (because you can’t taste only a single clove of garlic!).
Noodles with green asparagus
15 minutes preparation + 15 minutes cooking — serves 2
- 2 red onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 150 grams sugar snaps
- 150 grams of green asparagus
- 150 grams of egg noodles
- 25 grams of fresh ginger
- 1 pack of What The Cluck ”chicken” pieces from the Vegetarian Butcher
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce (reduced salt)
- 0.5 tablespoon regular chicken seasoning
- 0.5 tablespoon olive oil
- Stirfry oil
- Boil a liter of water in a kettle.
- Mix the chicken spices and olive oil with the What The Cluck pieces.
- Peel the ginger and grate finely.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Peel the onions and cut into thin half rings.
- Wash the sugar snaps and cut off the ends.
- Wash the asparagus and, if necessary, cut the tough part off the bottoms. Cut the asparagus in half and cut each half in half again lengthwise.
- Cook the egg noodles in a large pot with the boiled water for c. 5 minutes (longer/shorter depending on pack instructions). Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Keep separate.
- Heat some stir fry oil in a large pan (or wok if you have one) and add the seasoned What The Cluck pieces. Fry for c. 5-8 minutes over medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Remove the pieces from the pan and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Add some extra stirfry oil to the pan/wok and stir fry the onion, garlic, ginger, sugar snap peas and asparagus for c. 5-6 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the What The Cluck pieces back to the pan/wok, add the chili sauce, soy sauce and a tablespoon of water and mix well.
- Stir-fry for another minute or two to reheat the What The Cluck pieces and spread the sauce.
Bringing it all together
- Divide the egg noodles over two plates and serve with the stir fried vegetables.
Enjoy your meal!
Did you like this?
Leave a comment below if you made this recipe, and let me know what you think. Tips and feedback to improve the recipe are always welcome too!