A favourite in our kitchen is spaghetti bolognese. Made with delicious vegetarian mincemeat. This dish will make the whole family happy. The sauce is also easy to freeze — which we often do so we always have a tasty, quick meal on hand for busy days.
15 minutes preparation + 30 minutes cooking — serves 4
- 400 grams spaghetti
- 2 leeks
- 1 red pepper
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 500 grams passata
- 1 pack Vivera minced meat (or any other vegetarian mincemeat, but note that the preparation order is different as we explain in our introduction to meat replacements)
- 50 grams butter
- Chili flakes
- Italian herbs
- Chop the onions.
- Wash the leek and cut into thin rings.
- Wash the carrot and chop into small pieces.
- Wash the pepper en cut into bite-sized pieces.
Preparing the sauce
- Heat some oil in a large pan.
- Fry the onion for c. 7 minutes until soft and browning.
- Crush the garlic and add together with the leek and carrot to the onion. Fry for another 8 minutes or until the leeks are tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the Vivera minced meat with a tablespoon of pepper.
- Add the minced meat and red pepper to the vegetables. Fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the whole can of chopped tomatoes to the vegetables. Mix through.
- Add the passata to create the sauce and bring to a boil.
Bringing it all together
- Prepare the spaghetti while the sauce is heating up. Bring a large pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Cook the spaghetti for 10 minutes (or longer/shorter depending on pack instructions). Drain.
- Season the sauce with a small cube of butter, at least one tablespoon of Italian herbs, tablespoon of chili flakes, teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Heat through for another 2 minutes.
- Serve the spaghetti with the bolognese sauce.
Enjoy your meal!
Did you like this?
Leave a comment below if you made this recipe, and let me know what you think. Tips and feedback to improve the recipe are always welcome too!